A Great-sounding Distressor with a Tough British Side!
The Empirical Labs Distressor EL-8XM single-channel analog compressor adds some distinctive British flavor to an already outstanding unit! The EL-8XM provides the aggressive "all buttons in" characteristics obtained from the classic LN1176, courtesy of an onboard British Mode switch. While the Distressor can function very smoothly and transparently, the addition of the British Mode allows it to take on a very "un-subtle" character, giving you the best of two compressors in one! If you want the functionality of a Distressor plus aggressive "British" vibe, choose the EL-8XM!
Empirical Labs Distressor EL-8XM Single-channel Analog Compressor with British Mode at a Glance:
- "All buttons in" setting
- As aggressive as you want it to be
- Using the British Mode
- The Distressor
"All buttons in"
The original concept of the "British Mode" came from an unusual setting on the classic UREI LN1176 limiter. The unit was designed to have only four ratios, each ratio being engaged by selecting one of four buttons. However, as early as 1980 (or before), renegade recording engineers, always on the lookout for something a little more "over the top", found that you could make all four buttons stay "in" if you pressed them just right. What resulted was a very, very aggressive sound that had some elements of the units 20:1 ratio, but with an unusual knee and new envelope shape. Somewhere along the line, someone called it a "British Mode" and the name has stuck. It is also called "all buttons in" and some other intuitive names.
As aggressive as you want it to be
The Distressor has the advantage of being able to apply this "aggressive" nature not only to the new British ratio (1:1) but also to all the ratios since a separate switch is installed, which can be enabled with any ratio. One should keep in mind however, that an attack below 3 or 4 is required to maintain the LN1176 character. If you go above an attack of 3 you will also incur a rise in some grunge (distortion) and see the THD indicator lites come on a lot more. The Distressor will no longer behave smoothly, nor like an 1176.
Using the British Mode
Put the unit in the 1:1 ratio and turn on the British Mode Switch (flip it up and the LED should be lit). That enables it. To sound like the 1176 the only constraint is to keep the attack well under 4 on the Distressors - their attack can go much longer than the 1176. Now you will find that the unit has a new attitude! The attack and release will generally be more aggressive and the unit will get in and out of the way very quickly. Interestingly, the unit will be slightly less colored when not compressing. Use this ratio to "skim" peaks. This means that most of the time it may not be doing anything, but when it does "hit" the signal, it will smoothly push back the signal and then get right out of the way again. If you are hitting the Gain Reduction all the time with the British mode on, you are going to be really "squashing" the signal. On the other hand, the Distressor will sound fairly subtle when compressing all the time in 2:1 mode, especially with a slower attack (>6).
The Emprical Labs Distressor is a unique analog compressor that allows the user to add 2nd or 3rd order harmonic distortion to the signal, emulating tape saturation and the classic tube compressor sound of the '60's and '70's. The Distressor also offers advanced sidechain EQ, eight unique curves and Empirical Labs' exclusive "Binary Stepped Interface" providing hundreds of options with just a few control settings.
Empirical Labs Distressor EL-8XM Single-channel Analog Compressor with British Mode Features:
- "All buttons in" British Mode switch with LED
- Frequency response: 2Hz to 160kHz in clean audio mode (+0, -3 dB). Response is shaped in distortion modes (Dist 2, Dist 3)
- Dynamic range: 110 dB from max. output to min. output in 1:1 mode.
- Distortion ranges between .02% and 20% depending on distortion mode and release times set on front panel.
- DC coupled output - High quality input caps.
- Input impedance: 20K ohms
- Output impedance: < 75 ohms
- Time constants: Attack range 50uS - 50mS
- Release range: .05 sec to 3.5 seconds, normal modes and up to 20 seconds in 10:1 opto mode. Time constants are dependant on ratio.
- Metal chassis
- Dimensions: 1.75" H x 10" D x 19" W
- Number of Channels: 1
- Controls: Ratio (Button), Input, Attack, Release, Output
- Ratio: 1:1 to 20:1 (And "Nuke")
- Frequency Response: 2Hz-160kHz (-3 dB)
- Inputs: 1 x XLR, 1 x 1/4", 1 x 1/4" (Stereo Link)
- Outputs: 1 x XLR, 1 x 1/4", 1 x 1/4" (Stereo Link)
- Rack Spaces: 1U
- Height: 1.75"
- Depth: 10"
- Width: 19"
- Shipping info: 12.1 lbs mono
- Mono box dimensions: 22.5" x 18.5" x 3 1/4".